November 30, 2012

Christmas Ball #2

For this one I cut the foam ball in half. I wasn't sure if I had enough pins for a full ball. But also I can have different sizes and shapes. Not sure if I want to hang these or stick them in a dish/bowl.

I cut the ball in half with a box cutter and a saw thingy my husband had in his toolbox. Maybe not the best way to cut it. I was so nervous I was going to cut myself! I need to find an old knife so I can make one swoop instead of scoring and sawing. (I was going to put the sequins around it, but decided the strip of fabric was best)

I cut a circle out of the fabric and then cut 4 slits on each side. So I can wrap the fabric onto the ball and it wouldn't gather. I put a daub of hot glue in the center and then pinned each side down.

I cut a circle for the back side as well. You won't see this, but I didn't just want to leave it bare.
Start layering the pieces.
Side view of what it will look like. I had to redo this a few times because it wasn't lining up. I reccomend slightly pinning each end until it is fully lined up! That way you won't have a hard time trying to pull the pins out. Good thing I didn't do a manicure! I think I chipped a nail or two. With this type of foam, the pins really stick into the foam!
All done! I cut a 2 inch strip to wrap around the edge. I was going to put ribbon, but it didn't hide the pins to well and it didn't look right.
I hot glued the strip all the way around.
Finished product! I cannot believe how cool it looks!! Now if I wanted to hang it I could pin a ribbon onto the back.

This is the tutorial I followed:
http://knittygrittythoughts.typepad.com/knitty_gritty_thoughts/2009/11/my-entry.html


No comments:

Post a Comment