November 29, 2012

Time to kick the crafting into high gear


I love to craft!! I like to make things that are unique and fit the style of my home. And if you've been to my house you know it's not 'normal'. Haha normal is so boring! Well I've been trying to get more into the holiday spirit and I thought making decorations would help me do just that. So last night I Googled 'CHRISTMAS FABRIC CRAFTS' and found a ton of things to make! Which is kind of a bad thing because now I want to make everything!!! If I would've started this last month or even a few weeks ago I might have been able to make everything, but we are just a few days away from December.

I did however make my SEXY DISHTOWEL and POTHOLDER last night. I fell in love with that fabric the second I saw it! My only mistake was I didn't get a full yard. It was a bit pricey and because I was the youngest at the Sew & Quilt Expo, no one was nice to me. I guess us 'kids' can't sew and quilt! So I just had the lady cut me half a yard.

Tonight though I started a Christmas ornament. It looked pretty easy from the tutuorial, but once I started I knew I would only be able to make 1 ornament a night. Lining the fabric up was a bit tricky. Also I started following one pattern, which called for 2x2 inch squares, and then switched to another pattern. The second pattern called for 2.5x2.5 inch squares! So my measurements were a bit off. The first pattern was egg shaped and you just layer the squares on starting from the bottom. The second was a ball and you layer each side with a pattern in the middle. After the difficulty of lining everything up, I think I will just layer a ball, starting bottom side up and then end with a design in the middle. I do have to say, my fingers hurt from pushing the pins in and I am almost out of the brand new box of pins!

The link I followed for the fabric Christmas ornament was
http://randomramblingsofanartsycrafter.blogspot.com/2010/12/quilted-ornament-tutorial.html


The fabric I used was Christmas bandanas found at Hobby Lobby for $1! The Christmas items were 50% off today! I was going to get actual fabric, but it was on sale for $5-$6 a yard! I only need pieces, not a full yard or even half. I usually look through the remenant bin, but they were stocking and the bin blocked off. I could only see a few Christmas remenants but they were ugly.


The styrofoam I used was a hard styrofoam, not the kind that makes a mess. I wish I would've gotten the messy kind though. The pins were hard to push into this ball. But everything stayed neat, clean and much more together than a messy ball.


First layer started. This was a bit hard to line everything up. I had to redo it.

Second layer....it's starting to take shape!


Um yea, design is a bit off....hmmm o'well! It's my first one.


Hot glued ribbon around the ball and pinned/hot glued ribbon so I can hang it.


No comments:

Post a Comment